Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Pursuit of Happyness....

....man that was a good movie.   I love to watch inspirational movies at the beginning of the year.  It's like a personal pep talk that comes with my all time favorite snack, popcorn!  Like many of you, Erin and I have resolutions, goals, dreams (whatever you wanna call it) for 2013.  We won't go into listing them all out here.  That's a whole different type of blog.  :)  But we did decide to take on the most popular topic when it comes to new year resolutions, food!  I read somewhere that instead of writing down everything you eat in a food diary you could also try taking a picture of what you are about to eat.  Then look at the picture and decide what you could do without.  Interesting angle I suppose.  But what in the world would you do with all those pictures??  My iphone is already full with radomness.  However, I thought it was intriguing enough to try with my real (and brand spanking new!) camera and Erin agreed.  So off we went to photograph food this week.  Thrilling, really exciting.  lol 

Here's what we came up with.


Pictures below by Vicki....

 



Food photography is not as easy as it seems.   So the first few pictures I snapped were simply horrible.  Then I decided to take a slightly more serious approach and things started looking up.  Oh and I made myself a cup of coffee in my new favorite coffee cup!  I managed to capture the steamy goodness that came from my coffee maker as it was brewing.  Score!  But I don't think I achieved the same effect from the meal.  I did move closer to the window for this shot and the natural light really brightened things up.  I am moving towards a more natural light/less flash shooting philosophy in general.  Thanks to my trusty side-kick.  And I must say I like the results!  Anyhow, these are my foodie pics.  And in case you are wondering, I did review the image and decide to eat the whole plate.  I'll leave something behind at dinner.....maybe.



Picture below by Erin.....


It’s a happy New Year and time to usher in lots of new fun and energy. There are lots of changes around our house but the biggest one is easily seen in our fridge and pantry. We have finally decided now is the time to figure out what is ailing our poor bodies. So, we have taken on the challenge of an elimination diet! I thought that we were pretty healthy eaters already, but I have to admit that I don’t even recognize our dinner plates right now. No wheat, no dairy, no soy, no peanuts, no alcohol (goodness that was a biggie :), no caffeine, no corn or tomatoes, no shellfish, and very little sugar or sugar substitutes! Just lean (preferably organic) turkey and chicken, certain fish, fresh fruit (except citrus), fresh veggies, non-gluten grains (like brown rice and quinoa), good old fashioned water, and then we decided we would allow ourselves to eat some nuts. My husband, poor thing, had to laugh at what he was eating while trying to watch football. Staring at his plate of fresh veggies, hummus, rice crackers and almond milk all he could say was…”This sucks!” In the end, we are definitely hoping to find out that food is not our problem so that we can continue to enjoy our all our wonderfully unhealthy foods. However, it would be nice to also learn to love some foods that we may have never tried before doing this challenge. Like Kale chips! Believe it or not, they are actually pretty good and really easy to make! So here is to our healthy diet for the month and to the start of a great year!


Here's to your own pursuit of happyness, whatever that might be!  Thanks for spending a few minutes ignoring work and checking out the blog.  Next week's topic is Black and White.  We will be bringing it to you minus all of our special color filters.  Until next time, if anyone out there has a weekly challenge suggestion or wants to submit a photo just send us an email. hautopblog@gmail.com. We would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment