Monday, November 12, 2012

Man's best friend


It is in my opinion that the bond between a person and their pet can be the single most rewarding experience in life.  Now there are many that would argue a man's best friend would be something other than a canine.  But for the purposes of today's blog we're talking dogs. 
 
 


Above images by Erin
 
This week has been incredibly frustrating because I was trying hard to finally do something really creative and failed miserably doing it. I thought for a minute that I would just bag the whole thing and have my kiddos take some pictures with our dog, but then I realized that it would not be honest. So here it goes...
 
What I wanted for this week was to talk about the magic between kids and their dogs. I see so many pictures these days from professional photographers that include the family dog in the baby and family photos. And there is something so sweet and innocent about these images. So, what I wanted was to try and take a "magical" picture of our dog with my daughter who is going through her own obsession with all dogs these days (she has even requested a dog themed birthday party). I have seen lots of floating pictures and thought that it would be fun to photograph my daughter and dog together and then have one or both of them floating. I found lots of tutorials online taking you through all the "easy" steps to pull off floating pictures. In the end, I found it really hard to make it look natural! I tried several different locations and poses and ultimately, none of them worked. Maybe it is just really hard to pose kids and dogs (it certainly couldn't be that I didn't know what to have them do :-), or maybe it was my inability to use a tripod well, or maybe even my complete stupidity with Photoshop! Whatever it may be, I know that the picture looks really badly Photoshopped! But despite the fact that I think I failed miserably, my daughter LOVES the picture and is amazed and confused by it. So, from that end I guess I have to call my attempt at creating magic between a little girl and her dog a success! I also wanted to throw in a couple more pictures for a good laugh. Our family pets put up with so much from our little ones :-) Happy Monday and here's to next week being a little more "successful."
 
 
 
 
 
Above images by Vicki
 
Puppy dog eyes can be an incredibly powerful thing.  I would say that puppy eyes make the Magic Eraser look like child's play.  With a single look they can wipe out a bad day, a bad cold, a lonely heart, and so much more.  Dogs make wonderful teachers of life's lessons, for both the young and old.   My beloved Charleston has taught me things my Mother spent years trying.  Pick up your laundry, don't leave food out, think of others before yourself, exercise daily, patience, responsibility.  The list literally could go on forever.  So it is in the eyes of a dog that you can see not only his spirit but yours as well.  And that is why I believe that my canine is most definitely my best friend.  Often taken for granted and sometimes overlooked during the course of a very busy day.  And yet I am always greeted with his version of a smile.  If you can get your hands on a friendship like that, you just might be the lucky one.
 
On a side note how lovely is Chatham, Duchess of Ridgewood?!?!  The beauty in my first two photos is possibly the most gorgeous canine on the planet.  Let's be honest, have you ever seen anything this cute?  Her Mommy adores her and I do believe the feeling is mutual.  :)
 
 
Our assignment for next week is a hula hoop challenge. Pick a location and throw a hula hoop in the air. We can photograph whatever we want but can't move from the inside of the hula hoop.  Should be fun!  As always, let us know what you think!!  We would love to hear your comments.  Or send us you own "best friend" photos.  Email us at hautopblog@gmail.com!  We'll add your pics to our collection!


No comments:

Post a Comment