Monday, November 5, 2012

One Subject, different vantage points


Vicki and I decided to take this week and look at the way we take pictures.  It's easy to get stuck photographing the same way...different subject but same pictures.   So, we decided to focus on one subject but take pictures from many different angles.

Here's what Vicki had to say:

There are certain things that remind us of home.  For me, the smell of a charcoal grill does just that.  You are probably wondering what these pictures are all about.  Well, sometime around the late 1960's my Grandfather built himself the ultimate family gathering grill.  Who wouldn't want to cook 30 whole chickens at once?  He welded it from an oil drum that was no longer being used.  There have been countless uses for this grill over the years.  Family reunions, birthdays, weddings, etc.  It can hold several bags of coals at once and smokes meat like nothing you've ever tasted.  Like 'slap yo mama' good.  So here she is in all her glory, the oil drum grill.  Rusty and battered from years of use and love.  On this day it was being used to grill chicken for our family's church's fall sale.  Just as the sun was rising these beauties were lined up and already smoking to perfection.  I tried to capture all of the parts I found interesting.  Now if only I could share the the end result.  Grandpa's chicken with Grandma's secret barbeque sauce......man, I just got hungry!
 


 Images By: Vicki Hautop



Here's what I had to say:

This week I desperately wanted to delay the assignment because it has been one of THOSE weeks.  We all have them and among the chaos it is so easy to let go of the things that we do for ourselves.  We are in the midst of a kitchen renovation and our house is completely torn apart right now. I know that I will be thrilled once everything is done, but living through the dust, layers of plastic, piles and piles of stuff, and constant people in and out of the house has sent me over the edge many times this week.  On top of that drama, I have been working feverishly on an end of year slide show and coaches memory book for my son’s football team for the end of season banquet tonight.  I am so excited that both of them have turned out so well and can’t wait for the coaches, parents, and players to see them, but have to admit that trying to pull them together has been a little too much on me during an already CRAZY week!!  So, I called Vicki on Saturday to ask if we could just wait until next week to finish the assignment.  In her very loving and firm way she told me that she would not buy the “dog ate my homework” excuse.  And I realized that even though it was not what I wanted to hear, it’s what I needed to hear.   This blog is something that we do for ourselves and with a week of focusing on everyone else I needed some time to focus on something for me.  I knew that I did not have time to try and “set up” something to shoot but I think that’s what made the pictures this week even more perfect.  I actually took a moment to STOP.  My mother in law was awesome enough to have us over for breakfast and my son decided to take the time to sit and relax too.   Looking over at him, in his crazy outfit lying in crazy positions on the chair trying to play his game, I just had to LAUGH.   So of course I had to pick up the camera and share the comic relief of my morning from many different angles.  I hope they make you smile too!    







 Images by: Erin Hautop

Next week we are going to focus on photographing man's best friend!!

       

No comments:

Post a Comment