Monday, October 22, 2012

The Beauty of Orange

It's another beautiful Monday morning and Vicki and and I are excited to share our week long adventure capturing the color orange. 




The images above were taken by the very talented Vicki and here is what she had to say..

For this week's topic (the color orange) I enlisted the help of the kids.  They're good at "I Spy" so why not incorporate a little family fun into Mommy's weekly challenge.  And as you can imagine, asking someone to spy the color orange this time of year usually begins with a pumpkin.  They are everywhere so it's an easy target.  Hence my first picture, the pumpkin.  :)  Remembering my lesson from last week I decided to shoot from a low perspective.   You know, it's just a large piece of fruit.  Yes that right, fruit.  I had to google this but since pumpkins grow on a vine and have seeds, they are fruit.   You really can learn something new every day.  Back to the picture.  So I like the low angle of this picture.  It looks like you can actually feel the warm afternoon sun beating down.  My f2.8 lens is still fairly new to me so I also wanted to practice with depth of field.  For this I focused on the top of the pumpkin's skin hoping to blur out my over grown grass in front and my neighbor's house in back.   For the second picture I wanted something a little less obvious.  So I had the kids walk around and try to find something that was a smaller representation of the color orange.  Leaves, no.  Flowers, no.  Neighbor's pumpkin, no.  Car headlights, YES!  The littlest Hautop brought this to my attention as being the color "lellow".  He's still working on his color recognition and pronunciation of most words.  Cute, but hopefully a stage he moves through quickly.  My days are like a never ending game of 20 questions.  So picture #2.  I liked his idea of of the headlight.  It gave me a different shape to photograph and it was a bit of a challenge to not see a reflection of my camera in the glass.  I like the detail in the light and his tiny little fingers.  Again I kept a f2.8 focus to bring your eyes straight to the point at which he is touching the light.  Certainly not the coolest picture I've ever taken but I like the way it turned out. 






The above images were taken by Erin, and here is what I have to say...

This week is actually an exercise in selfishness rather than one in creativity.  I spent the week trying to take that fun and creative shot but in the end decided that what I wanted more than anything were some pictures of my children in this beautiful fall weather, wearing orange of course!  My decision was influenced by a conversation I had with the wife of a very talented photographer.  She told me that her husband stays so busy with his clients that he has very little time to photograph their children and most often she resorts to using her iPhone to capture their precious moments.  I was surprised, but at the same time I could understand how easily that can happen.  So, once again I am subjecting you to seeing pictures of my children :-)  Both shots were taken in the evening in our backyard.  I love the way that early morning and late afternoon light glows. 

Thanks for spending a few minutes ignoring work and checking out the blog!  Next week's topic is chairs.  Inside, outside, upside-down....said in my best Dr. Seuss rhyming voice.   Until next time, if anyone out there has a weekly challenge suggestion or wants to submit a photo just send us an email. hautopblog@gmail.com.  We would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment